We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post. For more information, see our disclosure.
Best Straightening Brush
At it’s most basic, a straightening brush is just a heated brush, but don’t let that oversimplification fool you. These are effective, easy to use styling tools that many are finding a helpful addition to their hair routines.
Straightening brushes look like regular brushes with the usual bristles and handle, but the elements at the bottom are heated so that your hair is straightened as it passes through.
As a blend of multiple hair tools, it’s design is meant to make styling easier for the user.
When shopping for a straightening brush, there are a few features that you want to pay attention to:
This refers to the amount of bristle on the brush. When looking at this, you want your hair to glide through easily, but you need to make sure that there’s enough bristles to have your hair actually come in contact with the heat. With most brushes, this isn’t a problem, but there are a few widely spaced ones out there that you may want to watch out for. While brushes with less bristles still function, you may have to make more passes to get your hair as straight as you want it.
360 Degree Swivel Cord
Having a swivel cord helps you maneuver the brush easier. It’s a small touch, but it can make your overall styling experience better.
The heated part of the bristles and the base is what will be styling your hair, so you have to pay the same amount of attention to their material as you would the plates in a flat iron.
Since this is a heated device, you want to make sure it’s going to be safe. Auto-shut off isn’t really a mandatory feature, but it’s nice to have. Also pay attention to what guards the device has to make sure that it’s not burning your scalp. Don’t buy a brush that doesn’t have any non-heated tips on the bristles.
There are a few things that customers routinely find unsatisfactory, regardless of brand or manufacturer. These are common complaints that you should look out for when shopping for your device:
- Button placement is something that comes up routinely. When the buttons on are on the sides, reviewers reported that it’s easy to turn the device on and off, or adjust the temperature on accident. When you’re buying, look at there the buttons are placed. There are less complaints when the buttons are on the top, or the underside of the handle.
- Another issue that comes up often, is that the device breaks easily, or doesn’t turn on/ off easily. Unfortunately, there’s not much you can do for this situation. If you’re a first time buyer, try to pick one that has a lot of good reviews and a good return policy as well. Also, when you’re using it, pay careful attention to whether or not the device is still hot. If you’ve used the power button but the device still remains hot, unplug it.
- For people with thicker hair, one comment that comes up is that the device doesn’t work as well as a straightening iron. Of course, I don’t want to paint that as everyone’s experience. There are plenty of people with thick hair, who use these devices successfully. Try to pick a device that has plenty of reviews from people with thick hair, and be sure to pay attention to how they use the devices, and what the manufacturer suggests for use.
Benefits of a Straightening Brush
While a straightening brush isn’t for everyone, there are some serious benefits that should be considered.
- The ease of use is one benefit of a straightening brush that comes up repeatedly. When they work as intended, they can cut your styling time substantially, particularly for people with curly hair. There are reviews that state that it won’t straightening it with the same precision as a flat iron, so it can be a trade off. If you want a very polished look, a flat iron would be better. For day-to-day straightening, a straightening brush may be more efficient.
- Another effective use for a straightening brush, is as a finishing touch for when you blow dry your hair. If you blow dry your hair, you can apply a straightening brush to give it a smoother, straighter finish without applying as much extra heat as you would with a flat iron.
- Because a straightening brush isn’t clamping your hair down between two plates, a lot of users find that it adds or maintains more volume. This makes it an ideal brush for anyone with fine hair, since fine hair can tend to get weighed down easily and look flat.
- A lot of reviews also state that a straightening brush is a great tool to use for children or teenagers. While still a heated styling tool, it is a little harder to burn yourself on than a flat iron. This makes it an ideal device for younger users, who are at an age to start managing their own hair, but still require supervision and guidance.
Keep in mind when using a straightening a brush, you’ll get the best results by following the manufacturers directions. You can also watch video reviews, or any videos released by the manufacturer to get an idea of how you can get the most out of your device.
Taking into consideration all of the important features, ideal uses, complaints, and the price, this is the straightening brush that I would recommend. Even if you don’t ultimately end up buying this device, feel free to use it as a standard against whatever others you may be looking at.
Glamfields Straightening Brush
- 360 swivel cord
- 30 minute auto-off
- Double negative ions
- Heats up to 450 degrees Fahrenheit
- Ceramic heating elements
- LCD Temperature Display
- heat glove
- two clips
- travel bag
This one presents a good option, because it has a lot of beneficial features.
For ease of use, it has both a swivel cord and auto shut off. The swivel cord makes it easier to maneuver, while the auto shut off can give you piece of mind, especially since so many complaints about these devices, centered on the fact that they don’t shut off easily. When it works it’s a good safety addition.
The design also makes it easy to set and maintain the temperature. The buttons are concave, and they sit on the underside of the handle, so it should be harder to bump them accidentally. If you do hit them, the LCD temperature read out will make it easy to see that the temperature has gone up.
For materials, I like the ceramic covering and their claim of double the negative ions. Both are better for your hair, as they can help lock in moisture and minimize damage.
My only complaint is the round brush head. As a person with thick hair, I don’t like losing surface area. The brush head does look large though. Coupled with a good density in the bristles, it shouldn’t be too much of a loss.
I liked this option because of the largely positive reviews, and it’s good features. I think it’s a good purchase for anyone looking for the benefits of a straightening brush. It should provide easy straitening without losing volume, and I think it’s a good styling tool for beginners.
Here are some other devices that I looked at, but didn’t ultimately pick. Browse these for more options.
Glamfields Paddle Brush
This brush is from the same brand as the top pick, so it should theoretically have the same level of quality. One thing I do prefer about this brush, is the square brush head. It might be a better option for anyone with thicker hair.
This is another square option. I like that the brush head on this one is concave, rather than convex. I’m not sure how much of a difference it really makes in the overall styling, but it might be preferable for some.
While some prefer flat irons for their stick-straight perfection, a straightening brush presents a viable alternative.
They can cut down on the time you spend styling, which benefits both you and your hair. They also keep more volume, since you’re not flattening your hair in the process of straightening it.
It’s perfect for a good touch-up after blow drying your hair, or taming it if you’re in a rush in the morning. Many users also use them as styling tools for their children, since they don’t have the same open heating elements as a flat iron.
If you’re in the market for your own straightening brush, keep an eye out for a good bristle density, good safety features, and hair friendly materials. With these as your focus, you should be able to find the best straightening brush capable of making your life a little easier.